ALS is a terminal illness that impacts all aspects of a person’s life, often resulting in decreased quality of life at a time when it matters most. The ALS Association Arizona Chapter employs a multi-dimensional approach to support the physical, emotional, and social needs of people with ALS, and their families.
The Chapter’s Living with ALS program helps families maintain a high quality of life by providing the following services:
- Multi-disciplinary Clinics – Regular visits with ALS specialists who coordinate the clinical management of physical disease progression
- Support groups -Opportunities to share personal experiences and learn strategies for managing the physical, social, emotional, and mental challenges of living with ALS
- Counseling – Individualized family counseling to address topics related to coping with the diagnosis, conflict resolution, crisis intervention, and healthcare and end of life decision making
- Certified Child Life Specialist -Helps children who have a loved one with ALS understand the disease, process complex emotions, and learn coping skills
- Social Connections – Group leisure activities designed to form bonds with others affected by ALS
- Family Fun Packs – Activity kits that are designed to facilitate positive family interactions and build memories before their loved one dies
“We are so grateful for this incredibly generous gift from Thunderbirds Charities,” said Taryn Norley, President and CEO of the ALS Association Arizona Chapter. “This donation will allow us to continue to invest in the more than 600 Arizona families who are affected by ALS.”
ALS Association Arizona Chapter
This grant is part of the Fall 2020 cycle. View a list of all Recent Grantees.