Mission and Eligibility
Established in 1986, Thunderbirds Charities is the charitable arm of The Thunderbirds, whose purpose is to grant the funds generated by the WM Phoenix Open. Thirty-four years later, the mission of Thunderbirds Charities remains the same; to assist children and families, help people in need and improve the quality of life in Greater Phoenix Metropolitan Area. Each year Thunderbirds Charities accepts grant proposals that support at-risk youth & families, community outreach/quality of life, education, improving the lives of the physically and mentally challenged and working to eliminate domestic violence, homelessness, and poverty.
Thunderbirds Charities only accepts requests from organizations serving Greater Phoenix Metropolitan Area, unless the project/program primarily benefits Greater Phoenix Metropolitan Area residents. “Greater Phoenix Metropolitan Area” is defined as Maricopa & Pinal Counties.
FUNDING ELIGIBILITY & GUIDELINES
To be eligible, a charity must hold a 501(c)(3) non-profit status and be based in Arizona. Thunderbirds Charities reserves the right to accept or reject any application and to approve or disapprove any proposal for funding. Thunderbirds Charities also reserves the right to change the application criteria at any time. Please refer to the list below for more detailed information. Other guidelines may apply and will be evaluated on an individual basis. Our grant amounts vary, depending on revenues from the WM Phoenix Open.
Thunderbirds Charities does not currently provide funding to the following:
- Nonprofit organizations whose 501(c)(3) status has been in effect for less than three years.
- Organizations that discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, marital status, age, disability or veteran status.
- Political, labor or fraternal organizations.
- Advocacy or lobbying activities for issue related topics.
- Medical or scientific research.
- Religious organizations, churches or programs that are purely denominational in purpose.
- Foundations or organizations which are themselves, grant-making entities.
- Endowments, Fellowships or Scholarships (for college purposes).
- Individual schools: public, charter, private, colleges, universities or their support organizations (to include but not limited to; Booster Clubs, PTA/PTO’s, athletic teams, bands, performing arts groups, alumni associations or school foundations).
- Debt reduction campaigns.
- Ongoing support or multi-year support.
- Projects or programs outside of the Greater Phoenix Metropolitan Area, unless the project/program primarily serves Greater Phoenix Metropolitan Area residents.
For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.